Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Emo discussion
12-03-2013, 04:50 AM,
RE: new emo / screamo bands
I didn't necessarily mean that they "created" the subgenre, I was just meaning it in terms to differentiate Emo compared to Emo Pop/Pop-Punk/Indie Rock.

I guess that's true, it all depends on if it sounds "hardcore" to be labeled in the appropriate genre.

I guess seeing all these "Twinkly" Emo bands has really got me confused on what real Emo is.
12-03-2013, 05:52 AM,
those twinkly bands are everything but emo, some are pop, some are pop rock, some are rock. By the way, there's no such thing as emo pop.

Emo = Emotive Hardcore Punk Rock

so remember that whenever you see a genre with the word emo infront of it, it probably doesn't exist.

Emo pop = Emotive Hardcore Punk Rock Pop? that doesn't make sense.
Aan de oevers van de tijd,

hing ik maar wat rond.
12-03-2013, 11:08 AM,
I was thinking more along the lines of Emo Pop-Punk.

So, what would you call Emo influenced bands? Indie Rock? That completely pulls them from the Emo aspect.

I wouldn't call them Pop Rock because that is what artists like Avril Lavigne and Fefe Dobson are considered.

Screamo is said to be a genre that doesn't exist because it's been mashed up with so many different bands, do you feel that way?

I thought Emo was just combining two things and making it Emotional Hardcore.
"We speak in tongues to taste something, like a new way to feel again.
My mouth, lips locked in motion, as they riot and spill.
In language we retreat straight back, like lies through history.
Pronounced our past of self defeat, so clearly."

- Bright Calm Blue
12-03-2013, 11:20 AM,
most of the bands in that video are in the DC scene or are influenced by it. good luck finding any bands that sound like that now. i agree that most of the new 'twinkly' bands tend to be pretty terrible, and are probably more pop punk or indie rock than anything, but i think its a stretch to say all of them aren't emo just because they aren't influenced by hardcore. i mean you have the whole midwest scene as well. what would you call that? are you trying to say bands like Bells on Trike, Boys Life, Maggat, Everyone Asked About You, The Van Pelt...etc aren't emo because they don't have that early dc hardcore influence? well thats just silly. even if bands like Snowing are more influenced by math rock than anything else they're still very much an emo band.
12-03-2013, 12:25 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-03-2013, 12:37 PM by SCREAMiNGRAiNBOWS.)
(12-03-2013, 11:20 AM)mango Wrote: most of the bands in that video are in the DC scene or are influenced by it. good luck finding any bands that sound like that now. i agree that most of the new 'twinkly' bands tend to be pretty terrible, and are probably more pop punk or indie rock than anything, but i think its a stretch to say all of them aren't emo just because they aren't influenced by hardcore. i mean you have the whole midwest scene as well. what would you call that? are you trying to say bands like Bells on Trike, Boys Life, Maggat, Everyone Asked About You, The Van Pelt...etc aren't emo because they don't have that early dc hardcore influence? well thats just silly. even if bands like Snowing are more influenced by math rock than anything else they're still very much an emo band.

That's exactly what I'm saying. Just because it doesn't fall under the typical "Hardcore Punk" shouldn't disqualify it as Emo when it develops from the Emo scene. I think there are just different "waves" of Emo and being able to divide it from what IS true Emo compared to what ISN'T is a wonderful thing but Emo music is still that whether it be Hardcore influenced or Pop-Punk/Math Rock influenced.

- Bright Calm Blue
12-03-2013, 02:03 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-03-2013, 02:17 PM by mango.)
agree about the different 'waves' of emo. i do wish some of these newer bands were more along the lines of traditional early 90s emo that had more of a 'truer' emo sound with a punk influence, but i'm just glad the scene is moving along and we are getting some newer stuff, because more legit emo bands will come from that. some of these newer bands are just too soft, poppy, and not aggressive or emotional at all, especially when it sounds like a vocalist is trying to impersonate the singer from Taking Back Sunday or some MTVmo. its the popular thing right now unfortunately. also, when bands get too twiddly it kind of takes away from the emotion, some bands do it right tho, and are very much what you could consider emo.

http://humanhands.bandcamp.com maybe these guys aren't hardcore enough. Big Grin
http://witsend.bandcamp.com/album/split-...uman-hands
12-03-2013, 02:27 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-03-2013, 02:45 PM by spideronmypizza.)
i'd say if anything the meaning of the term "emo" has changed a lot in the time it's been around. emo is a pretty big blanket term though. emo could mean the dc emotive hardcore kind of stuff or it could mean the twinkly kind of stuff like the world is a beautiful place & i am no longer afraid to die. rites of spring is emo, bells on trike is emo, american football is emo, street smart cyclist is emo, and dads is emo. it's a blanket term. most people use terms like "midwest emo" or "twinkly emo" to describe the newer sound anyway. im not getting the vibe that this forum is too big on twinkly emo but it's still emo. it's not hardcore anymore but that doesnt make it not emo.

not trying to fuel an argument here. just putting in my two cents
12-03-2013, 02:30 PM,
I agree. I mean, the "twinkly" Emo bands aren't hardcore at all, but the fact they are somewhat caring an essence of Emo is what matters. I totally like the Hardcore Emo a lot better but I wouldn't pull them totally out of the Emo genre.

I really enjoy Human Hands! Thank you! I definitely would consider them Emo, hardcore enough or not.

Also, maybe these:

Donovan Wolfington
Ghost Cat
Homelife
Shark Bait
Tigerscout

- Bright Calm Blue
12-04-2013, 01:59 AM,
spideronmypizza
"it's not hardcore anymore but that doesnt make it not emo." Emo stands for emotive hardcore punk rock so clearly it's not emo if it's not hardcore, the 2 genres are very similar because it's just a subgenre.

SCREAMiNGRAiNBOWS
"In the video, besides what Emo "sounds" like, what should you look for in the bands or in that genre that separates it from Hardcore Punk or Punk music?"
The sound. What else?
"I was thinking more along the lines of Emo Pop-Punk."
Emotive hardcore punk rock pop punk rock?
"So, what would you call Emo influenced bands? Indie Rock? That completely pulls them from the Emo aspect."
What do you mean?
Lay off wikipedia. They poison your mind.

mango
"but i think its a stretch to say all of them aren't emo just because they aren't influenced by hardcore"
emo - emotive hardcore punk rock

Besides that the so-called midwest bands didn't play a new genre, they played the same old pop which has been around for ages and it had nothing to do with emo. The bands that you now call twinky whatever were possibly influenced by those but seeing as they didn't take anything from emo they also cannot be called emo. The musicians nowadays are simply ignorant.

Also Jerome where did you read about SDRE being influenced by emo? From what I remember reading they had nothing to do with the emo scene but MTV called them that.

If you haven't seen my video called Music watch it. It explains what emo is perfectly.

You are your own future, you write your own book,
you choose the colors of your world, you choose the patterns of your words,
the past you can't erase so live for today.
After Words - Looking Back
12-04-2013, 02:07 AM,
(12-04-2013, 01:59 AM)Sv3rige Wrote: Also Jerome where did you read about SDRE being influenced by emo? From what I remember reading they had nothing to do with the emo scene but MTV called them that.

I though they were from the 80s, it was pretty much impossible to form any rock band back then without acknowledging the existence of hardcore punk and emo.
Aan de oevers van de tijd,

hing ik maar wat rond.