Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Emo discussion
12-04-2013, 11:23 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-04-2013, 11:24 AM by Dawning.)
RE: new emo / screamo bands
Legends say the emo argument is as old as time itself.

Bands like AA aren't Post-Hardcore. Seriously go read into the genre, it stands for Post-Hardcore Punk Rock, bands like Fugazi. Is that what you'd label AA as?
It'd be more accurate to call them popcore, mallcore, whatever.

Also, many pop groups promote "Gay culture" now I'm not hetero but I still think that's not a good thing. I feel it encourages the view that we're different. We're not all "fabulous" or whatever we just have romantic/sexual relationships with both/the same sex other than that I still listen to Darkthrone or whatever and most people would be surprised by that thanks to such pop artists.

No, emotive hardcore hasn't been the only thing called emo for years and years now. In fact you ask the average person what emo means and they will have the complete wrong idea, but the point is that this is wrong.
Punk rock should mean freedom. Liking and accepting anything that you like, playing whatever you want, as sloppy as you want. As long as it's good and it has passion. - Kurt Cobain
12-04-2013, 11:51 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-04-2013, 11:53 AM by SCREAMiNGRAiNBOWS.)
No, I would not at all put Fugazi and Asking Alexandria in the same category, so, point taken there. Fugazi is almost Emo though, very punk rock-ish.

Metalcore almost fits with bands like Asking Alexandria because they are more metal than hardcore ... I don't know. I definitely wouldn't know what to call them when you think of Fugazi or Drive Like Jehu being Post-Hardcore.

This genre stuff is totally confusing me.

And if you read into Post-Hardcore, it starts with bands like Fugazi and ends with bands like Underoath. Just like Emo, it's been transformed over time with different "waves." So, who really knows what to call these Metalcore/Popcore/Mallcore/Post-Hardcore bands? Haha.

And I didn't understand the "promoting of gay culture," the way you explained it.

Can we do do Melodic Metalcore? That might fit them.
"We speak in tongues to taste something, like a new way to feel again.
My mouth, lips locked in motion, as they riot and spill.
In language we retreat straight back, like lies through history.
Pronounced our past of self defeat, so clearly."

- Bright Calm Blue
12-04-2013, 06:34 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-04-2013, 06:35 PM by Sv3rige.)
(12-04-2013, 07:23 AM)mango Wrote: "Midwest emo is not even hardcore punk rock." of course it isnt, its Midwest emo. hardcore punk rock is another issue. B) i don't know about Burns Our Bright, but i dont like the sound of 'pop rock' is that something like Kelly Clarkson? O.O

But emo stands for emotive hardcore punk rock, what don't you understand? There's not such thing as midwest emotive hardcore punk rock, the people who invented the word had nothing to do with the scene so the term doesn't make sense seeing as it means something completely else. We are talking about 2 completely different scenes and genres. Midwest is indie pop and indie pop comes from regular pop. That's why I gave you madonna and kiss. You clearly do like pop rock if you like those bands, most of it isn't even pop rock but simple pop.

(12-04-2013, 07:33 AM)SCREAMiNGRAiNBOWS Wrote: When we get "specific" with Emo, I definitely agree that true Emo is the emotional Hardcore Punk but I definitely feel that a lot of the other "Emo" bands are still Emotive bands, but maybe Emotive Pop Punk instead. I don't know, I guess I generally enjoy Emo so much that I like the Pop stuff as well as the Hardcore stuff, so it's easier for me to call it all Emo. I definitely understand your point, if they aren't "Hardcore Punk" then they aren't Emo or Screamo, but I feel like a band can specifically be a genre they are influenced by but still be inspired by other genres as well, I feel that is the Art of music.

I feel like calling Emo influenced bands Pop is totally wrong; they are definitely more Rock than they are Pop because when I think of Pop, I think of Lady Gaga and bands like Thursday or Sunny Day Real Estate definitely do not sound like her or Madonna. If we could combine blink-182 + Rites of Spring together we would get the "other" Emo bands, reason why I call it Emo Pop. Emo Pop being the subgenre to Emo just like Screamo is the subgenre to Emo. Adding Pop to Emo would be a subgenre just like adding Post to Black Metal is a subgenre to Black Metal, but combining two genres together. Emo is already a subgenre to Hardcore Punk but when using Emo as the definite genre, I feel it is totally necessary.

Pop Rock is like Avril Lavigne. Pop is like Lady Gaga. Pop Punk is like blink-182.

... that was confusing. But somehow, makes sense to me.

There are still a lot of old and new 90's Screamo oriented bands that continue to release albums like Caravels, Calculator, Brain Fever, Gillian Carter, Kite Runner, Locktender, Native, Roanoke, Sed Non Satiata, Twin Cities, Righteous Cycles, We Were Skeletons, The Saddest Landscape, and maybe even State Faults new album, they have a more hardcore feel to them now than they did with their first album.

P.S. I feel like I totally contradicted myself with the whole Emo Pop thing, but I mean it as in Pop Punk.

Emotive isn't a music genre. That's the big problem. Tons of genres are emotive.

"Pop Rock is like Avril Lavigne. Pop is like Lady Gaga. Pop Punk is like blink-182."
That's exactly what I explained in my video Music.
Avril is pop, lady is bubblegum pop, blink is pop rock. You're one step ahead.

The bands you posted aren't influenced by emo though, that's the big problem.

(12-04-2013, 09:11 AM)SCREAMiNGRAiNBOWS Wrote: Sv3rige, I watched the "Music" video and I would say that I agree with the majority of the genre labeling. I will explain what I mean by "majority" in just a second, first I want to say this: I don't mean to offend you at all with the whole "Emo" thing and I could totally understand from what I said, why it would be offensive to you. What I mean by that is, I feel the EXACT same way about Screamo as you do Emo and when people try to throw bands like Asking Alexandria into my genre, Screamo, it totally irritates me because that is NOT Screamo. When people are throwing artists like American Football into Emo, I imagine you must feel the same way. Do I know what people should call this other wave of "Emo," the Midwest Emo? No, I don't. But, I have explained that I do agree that it isn't true to the Emo genre but I feel like for the most part, it is influenced by Emo in some sense. So, first and foremost, I hope that with everything that was said, my point of views were saw but my understanding for the genre Emo is also understood.

When I say that I agree with the "majority" of the genre labeling, I feel differently about Post-Hardcore. When I think of "Post" genres, I think of two genres combined.

Asking Alexandria = Post-Hardcore = Pop Punk + Hardcore Punk Rock

Deafheaven = Post-Black Metal = Shoegaze + Black Metal or Post-Rock + Black Metal

When people put "Post" in front of a genre, I feel like it is that particular genre being combined with offshoot genres that also inspire the artist. Just because an artists sings, I don't feel like it should make them a Pop artist. Could the singing bring a sense of Pop? Yes, but I feel like a band could still be Hardcore Punk and Pop at the same time i.e. Alexisonfire, Underoath, We Came As Romans, etc. A lot of these bands have the ability to be strictly Metal or Hardcore bands but because of their singing, it adds Pop to the mix, creating a genre like Post-Hardcore.

I don't know how I feel about the Illuminati thing ... things that resemble a sense of religion, I tend to not get involved with. I just ignore it or deal with it, I guess. And besides, I LOVE almost every genre of music. Screamo is my favorite genre because, like you said, it is very passionate but I love Pop music, Indie Rock, old Country, old R&B, etc.

Just thought I'd let you know that I watched the video, well, the majority of it.

P.S. What did you mean by those Post-Hardcore/Popcore bands "highly promote homosexuality?"

As I said already American Football play indie pop, the genre was around way before they started it. It hasn't changed at all and is not related to emo. Therefore you can call it what it is, no need to make new names for an old genre.

Asking Alexandria doesn't take anything from hardcore or pop punk. You should listen to some pop punk bands to find out how the genre really sounds like because you keep misusing the word. This is post-hardcore - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fL57SSk1cw

Also metalcore again is something different. You gotta listen to every genre to be able to clearly determine what genres what bands combine. If you have only listened to the wrong genres then it's understandable why you're so confused.
You are your own future, you write your own book,
you choose the colors of your world, you choose the patterns of your words,
the past you can't erase so live for today.
After Words - Looking Back
12-05-2013, 02:53 AM,
(12-04-2013, 06:34 PM)Sv3rige Wrote:
(12-04-2013, 07:23 AM)mango Wrote: "Midwest emo is not even hardcore punk rock." of course it isnt, its Midwest emo. hardcore punk rock is another issue. B) i don't know about Burns Our Bright, but i dont like the sound of 'pop rock' is that something like Kelly Clarkson? O.O

But emo stands for emotive hardcore punk rock, what don't you understand? There's not such thing as midwest emotive hardcore punk rock, the people who invented the word had nothing to do with the scene so the term doesn't make sense seeing as it means something completely else. We are talking about 2 completely different scenes and genres. Midwest is indie pop and indie pop comes from regular pop. That's why I gave you madonna and kiss. You clearly do like pop rock if you like those bands, most of it isn't even pop rock but simple pop.

(12-04-2013, 07:33 AM)SCREAMiNGRAiNBOWS Wrote: When we get "specific" with Emo, I definitely agree that true Emo is the emotional Hardcore Punk but I definitely feel that a lot of the other "Emo" bands are still Emotive bands, but maybe Emotive Pop Punk instead. I don't know, I guess I generally enjoy Emo so much that I like the Pop stuff as well as the Hardcore stuff, so it's easier for me to call it all Emo. I definitely understand your point, if they aren't "Hardcore Punk" then they aren't Emo or Screamo, but I feel like a band can specifically be a genre they are influenced by but still be inspired by other genres as well, I feel that is the Art of music.

I feel like calling Emo influenced bands Pop is totally wrong; they are definitely more Rock than they are Pop because when I think of Pop, I think of Lady Gaga and bands like Thursday or Sunny Day Real Estate definitely do not sound like her or Madonna. If we could combine blink-182 + Rites of Spring together we would get the "other" Emo bands, reason why I call it Emo Pop. Emo Pop being the subgenre to Emo just like Screamo is the subgenre to Emo. Adding Pop to Emo would be a subgenre just like adding Post to Black Metal is a subgenre to Black Metal, but combining two genres together. Emo is already a subgenre to Hardcore Punk but when using Emo as the definite genre, I feel it is totally necessary.

Pop Rock is like Avril Lavigne. Pop is like Lady Gaga. Pop Punk is like blink-182.

There are still a lot of old and new 90's Screamo oriented bands that continue to release albums like Caravels, Calculator, Brain Fever, Gillian Carter, Kite Runner, Locktender, Native, Roanoke, Sed Non Satiata, Twin Cities, Righteous Cycles, We Were Skeletons, The Saddest Landscape, and maybe even State Faults new album, they have a more hardcore feel to them now than they did with their first album.

P.S. I feel like I totally contradicted myself with the whole Emo Pop thing, but I mean it as in Pop Punk.

Emotive isn't a music genre. That's the big problem. Tons of genres are emotive.

"Pop Rock is like Avril Lavigne. Pop is like Lady Gaga. Pop Punk is like blink-182."

(12-04-2013, 09:11 AM)SCREAMiNGRAiNBOWS Wrote: Sv3rige, I watched the "Music" video and I would say that I agree with the majority of the genre labeling. I will explain what I mean by "majority" in just a second, first I want to say this: I don't mean to offend you at all with the whole "Emo" thing and I could totally understand from what I said, why it would be offensive to you. What I mean by that is, I feel the EXACT same way about Screamo as you do Emo and when people try to throw bands like Asking Alexandria into my genre, Screamo, it totally irritates me because that is NOT Screamo. When people are throwing artists like American Football into Emo, I imagine you must feel the same way. Do I know what people should call this other wave of "Emo," the Midwest Emo? No, I don't. But, I have explained that I do agree that it isn't true to the Emo genre but I feel like for the most part, it is influenced by Emo in some sense. So, first and foremost, I hope that with everything that was said, my point of views were saw but my understanding for the genre Emo is also understood.

When I say that I agree with the "majority" of the genre labeling, I feel differently about Post-Hardcore. When I think of "Post" genres, I think of two genres combined.

Deafheaven = Post-Black Metal = Shoegaze + Black Metal or Post-Rock + Black Metal

When people put "Post" in front of a genre, I feel like it is that particular genre being combined with offshoot genres that also inspire the artist. Just because an artists sings, I don't feel like it should make them a Pop artist. Could the singing bring a sense of Pop? Yes, but I feel like a band could still be Hardcore Punk and Pop at the same time i.e. Alexisonfire, Underoath, We Came As Romans, etc. A lot of these bands have the ability to be strictly Metal or Hardcore bands but because of their singing, it adds Pop to the mix, creating a genre like Post-Hardcore.

I don't know how I feel about the Illuminati thing ... things that resemble a sense of religion, I tend to not get involved with. I just ignore it or deal with it, I guess. And besides, I LOVE almost every genre of music. Screamo is my favorite genre because, like you said, it is very passionate but I love Pop music, Indie Rock, old Country, old R&B, etc.

Just thought I'd let you know that I watched the video, well, the majority of it.

P.S. What did you mean by those Post-Hardcore/Popcore bands "highly promote homosexuality?"

As I said already American Football play indie pop, the genre was around way before they started it. It hasn't changed at all and is not related to emo. Therefore you can call it what it is, no need to make new names for an old genre.

Asking Alexandria doesn't take anything from hardcore or pop punk. You should listen to some pop punk bands to find out how the genre really sounds like because you keep misusing the word. This is post-hardcore - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fL57SSk1cw

Also metalcore again is something different. You gotta listen to every genre to be able to clearly determine what genres what bands combine. If you have only listened to the wrong genres then it's understandable why you're so confused.

Actually, Asking Alexandria are pop rock to be exact. the mainstream tries to cover up the real metalcore (Integrity, Acme, Cipher, Converge) to set up the confusion to some people. i wasnt really impressed with the sound before i discovered real screamo. Also for gay culture, the media is painting a portrait of a typical gay man, could be manly or effeminate, giving them the so-called god almighty look. For a reason, they shock people and make them hate gays even more. It's seriously wrong.
we slip through mansions with fences full-grown.
we slip through streetlights in crooked rows.
I saw the sky split in two: one half jealous and one half cruel.

Camouflage, Camouflage by The Blood Brothers
12-05-2013, 07:01 AM,
this convo is funny as hell. you dont even know exactly where the term emo came from, besides a few fans who started calling Rites Of Spring emo because they were emotional, instead of the usual angry hardcore punk in that scene. you keep saying that emo stands for 'emotive hardcore punk rock' like its some sort of textbook definition set in stone. If thats what it is, you can include 'dag nasty' in your group of emo bands. that doesnt change the fact that the bands i mentioned had a lot to do with the emo scene in its infancy. i'm starting to wonder if you even ever listened to them, because its clearly not indie pop. another genre that you're trying to butcher that has a lot of other shit bands associated with it. when i think indie pop, i think bands like Tiger Trap, Another Sunny Day, Black Tambourine... they don't sound much like the original bands labeled indie pop, but its still a form of indie pop. Boys Life sounds nothing like them, they may be highly influenced by indie/math rock, but its still an emo band at its core. i'm not sure why thats so hard to understand. another band would be Evergreen who are far from a hardcore punk rock band, and clearly an Emo band.

you act as if emo bands can only be influenced by hardcore. well thats not the case. weather i call it indie-emo or post-emo, its still going to have emo attached to its name.
“Do not be so open-minded that your brains fall out.”
― G.K. Chesterton
12-05-2013, 07:09 AM,
You are just looking at it scene wise, in the 90's all music scenes in america sort of blended together. Emo bands played with indie rock and rock bands. I'm pretty sure Toru Okada played shows with Braid. Now, why would this mean that Braid makes emo indie rock whereas if they didn't play with Toru Okada and played shows with The Anniversary, it would be called Pop rock or Rock. It just wouldn't make sense, The way you use genres they are actually quite useless. If i say i want an emo band and you give me sunny day real estate, I would be disappointed because i ment emo like Catena Collapse.
Aan de oevers van de tijd,

hing ik maar wat rond.
12-05-2013, 07:35 AM,
that's not even what i was trying to say Jerome. i know emo bands played with indie rock bands, but thats not the point. i was trying to say that their major influences were emo and indie rock, that still doesnt change the fact that they were an emo band with indie rock influences or what not. i wouldnt even call sunny day real estate an emo band. pretty much straight up alternative rock. according to Sv3rige Toru Okada would not be an emo band because they are not a band playing 'emotive hardcore punk'. its a different style of music, and they don't even resemble hardcore punk music judging by the chords alone. what are you getting at?
― G.K. Chesterton
12-05-2013, 08:36 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-05-2013, 01:35 PM by SCREAMiNGRAiNBOWS.)

Quote:Emotive isn't a music genre. That's the big problem. Tons of genres are emotive.

I thought bubblegum pop was something that existed in the 60's and 70's? I thought it was like a big group of people who usually dealt with singers who weren't popular or known? Like random people that would be thrown into a group for a commercial or for a television show? I didn't think bubblegum pop artists existed anymore.

Regardless of your opinion on the genres, I still consider Avril Lavigne Pop Rock, because she is definitely a pop singer but she plays in a "rock" band, if being anything other than just Pop, she would be Power Pop at least ...

Lady Gaga is just "Pop" because her main goal is to be popular and be heard by "everyone." I hardly ever hear the term Bubblegum Pop anymore.

blink-182 was definitely a Pop Punk band during their first ten years but after that, I guess they did throw a lot more electronic/experimental into their music pulling them away from strictly Pop Punk. I know that their type of Pop Punk isn't the same as ... let's say The Story So Far but blink-182 pulls from Punk Rock as The Story So Far pulls from Hardcore Punk, both leaving them as Pop Punk bands but both going in different directions. I guess blink-182 would be Pop Rock now.

"The bands you posted aren't influenced by emo though, that's the big problem." What bands are we talking about here? That wasn't a clear response. Are you talking about the Screamo bands I posted?

Quote:As I said already American Football play indie pop, the genre was around way before they started it. It hasn't changed at all and is not related to emo. Therefore you can call it what it is, no need to make new names for an old genre.

I agree with you. Metalcore comes from Metal as Post-Hardcore comes from Hardcore Punk, I totally get that now.

If a band is inspired by Emo, wouldn't their music be "lighter" than Hardcore Punk? If a band is getting their influence from Emo, they will derive from that sound and not the typical Hardcore Punk sound because Hardcore Punk and Emo are two different things. Just because a band is influenced by Emo but doesn't sound "hardcore" doesn't mean that they aren't Emo. I feel as if a band is inspired by a particular genre then they are that genre and just because that band does not play where the genre they are influenced by came from does not disqualify them from being that genre.

Reasons why "waves" of genres are made.

Rites of Spring to Dag Nasty to Fugazi (a different wave because they were Post-Hardcore because they disliked being called Emo) to Braid to Thursday to early Jimmy Eat World to Taking Back Sunday to The World Is a Beautiful Place & I Am No Longer Afraid to Die.

I feel like when a band is pulling their inspiration from a genre or subgenre when we are talking Emo, they are going to develop from that "said" genre not the genre that created the subgenre.

Any band that pulls their inspiration through a certain era is going to obviously sound different because styles of genres change over time, especially when bands are pulling their inspiration from a band that has already been created from a subgenre.

This is totally off subject but I came across this today from one of my favorite online gossip blogs: The Kardashians might be part of the Illuminati?
"We speak in tongues to taste something, like a new way to feel again.
My mouth, lips locked in motion, as they riot and spill.
In language we retreat straight back, like lies through history.
Pronounced our past of self defeat, so clearly."

- Bright Calm Blue
12-05-2013, 06:20 PM,
(12-05-2013, 07:01 AM)mango Wrote: this convo is funny as hell. you dont even know exactly where the term emo came from, besides a few fans who started calling Rites Of Spring emo because they were emotional, instead of the usual angry hardcore punk in that scene. you keep saying that emo stands for 'emotive hardcore punk rock' like its some sort of textbook definition set in stone. If thats what it is, you can include 'dag nasty' in your group of emo bands. that doesnt change the fact that the bands i mentioned had a lot to do with the emo scene in its infancy. i'm starting to wonder if you even ever listened to them, because its clearly not indie pop. another genre that you're trying to butcher that has a lot of other shit bands associated with it. when i think indie pop, i think bands like Tiger Trap, Another Sunny Day, Black Tambourine... they don't sound much like the original bands labeled indie pop, but its still a form of indie pop. Boys Life sounds nothing like them, they may be highly influenced by indie/math rock, but its still an emo band at its core. i'm not sure why thats so hard to understand. another band would be Evergreen who are far from a hardcore punk rock band, and clearly an Emo band.

you act as if emo bands can only be influenced by hardcore. well thats not the case. weather i call it indie-emo or post-emo, its still going to have emo attached to its name.

I say it because many people who grew up with the bands also said that that's what it was called. Dag Nasty is mostly pop punk. I can't think of any songs that sound like emo. Boys Life is definitely punk influenced. I haven't said anything about them because I haven't listened to them. Evergreen are very hardcore influenced, that's why they are considered emo. Because they played it.

Emo comes directly from hardcore, it's a subgenre. What you say is so illogical at this point that I can't take you serious. Indie-emo? Independant emotive hardcore punk rock? What's that? The emo in post-emo is not referring to the music genre emo though.

SCREAMiNGRAiNBOWS
There's tons. There's nothing rocky about it, power pop is way heavier.
Pop has nothing to do with popular, it's a music genre.
The Story So Far is typical pop rock.
I was just trying to make you understand how you're one step ahead as most people who confuse genres. I don't care to talk about those genres now. It's simply to show you why you confuse emo too.

I meant the indie pop bands at the beginning.

Metalcore comes from hardcore actually, it simply put a spin on ithe genre with the metal part.

Emo can also be heavier than hardcore. It really depends on what bands you're talking about. If a band would combine death metal with emo than it couldn't be softer.

None of the bands you named after rites of spring have a connection to emo. The waves can be seen in the video evolution of emo, the sound did change quite a lot espeically in the 90s. That's the second wave if anything. You're ignoring that the bands you named after played already existing genres.

"I feel like when a band is pulling their inspiration from a genre or subgenre when we are talking Emo, they are going to develop from that "said" genre not the genre that created the subgenre."
Obviously but the said genre (emo) comes directly from hardcore, which is why it's called emotive hardcore. People who listen to hardcore and emo for the first time can't tell the difference many times.
You are your own future, you write your own book,
you choose the colors of your world, you choose the patterns of your words,
the past you can't erase so live for today.
After Words - Looking Back
12-06-2013, 11:59 AM,
the definition is really based on peoples opinions, so i doubt that people will ever be able to define it correctly. i know we won't see eye to eye on this issue. these debates have been around for ages so i did a little digging, and i grew up with posts, websites, and compilations like this. http://buff.ly/1jrM8bp also fourfa

at least they are somewhat credible, one was in the screamo band funeral diner and the other guy runs a really good distro out in the UK. now i know they may be wrong in some of the areas, but that has always been what emo was to me. where do the two styles meet? well i'm not exactly sure, but there was some pretty important compilations that had mixed the styles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYGgzFnDQdM cap'n jazz among other proper emo bands.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSllLfNeiIg Boilermaker thrown in.

early Promise Ring had clearly been influenced by proper emo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBBfxn2idX4 Strictly Ballroom before they went soft.

not sure if that means anything? im not trying to be rude or show that i'm right. I may be wrong, but some of these bands earlier in their career were definitely influenced by proper emo. i just can't associate these bands or similar midwest bands with anything other than emo.
― G.K. Chesterton