Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Define "unnatural"
08-14-2016, 04:59 AM,
RE: Define "unnatural"
(08-14-2016, 02:49 AM)Fredrik Wrote: I'm going to go with my theory that I believe everything we do is natural. It's just that in todays society we have so many norms that make things seem unnatural.

Then what's the point of the word unnatural?
You are your own future, you write your own book,
you choose the colors of your world, you choose the patterns of your words,
the past you can't erase so live for today.
After Words - Looking Back
08-14-2016, 05:23 AM,
(08-14-2016, 04:59 AM)Sv3rige Wrote:
(08-14-2016, 02:49 AM)Fredrik Wrote: I'm going to go with my theory that I believe everything we do is natural. It's just that in todays society we have so many norms that make things seem unnatural.

Then what's the point of the word unnatural?

Most likely it was developed by some people to frame other people not fitting with how they believed they should have lived. This way they were able to control how one should live and if somebody was acting "unnatural" it was as simply as saying that the person is unnatural and you had an an entire mob against them.
Express yourself no matter what anyone believes.

Also known as Fishy76
08-14-2016, 07:31 AM,
Yes, "unnatural" is a "bad word" people use for something they don't like.

It can also be used in other senses, but it is essentially useless for serious discussion, because saying something is unnatural tells you absolutely nothing about it. Think about it, does "the tree is unnatural" tell you anything about the tree? Can you perform any sort of action based on the statement "the tree is unnatural"? It doesn't matter how you use the word, you always need to add some other information or the word becomes completely meaningless.
08-14-2016, 04:58 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-14-2016, 04:59 PM by Sv3rige.)
(08-14-2016, 07:31 AM)end Wrote: Yes, "unnatural" is a "bad word" people use for something they don't like.

It can also be used in other senses, but it is essentially useless for serious discussion, because saying something is unnatural tells you absolutely nothing about it. Think about it, does "the tree is unnatural" tell you anything about the tree? Can you perform any sort of action based on the statement "the tree is unnatural"? It doesn't matter how you use the word, you always need to add some other information or the word becomes completely meaningless.

Interesting view. I don't agree.
It would tell you that something has changed from its natural tree form.
Or saying that somebody walks unnaturally also would give me an idea. I don't use it for things that I don't like. Not that I can remember anyway.
08-15-2016, 04:03 AM,
(08-14-2016, 04:58 PM)Sv3rige Wrote: It would tell you that something has changed from its natural tree form.
It's used to give a certain tone to the conversation, but not really to convey information. It's worse when people say something shouldn't happen "because it's unnatural". Then it really has no meaning.

(08-14-2016, 04:58 PM)Sv3rige Wrote: Or saying that somebody walks unnaturally also would give me an idea.

Did you expect it to have this meaning? http://blog.lolofit.com/blog/posts/walk-...-burn-more

(08-14-2016, 04:58 PM)Sv3rige Wrote: I don't use it for things that I don't like. Not that I can remember anyway.

If calling something unnatural doesn't tell you if it's good or bad, why do you use the word?
08-15-2016, 04:39 AM,
That sounds like you simply had that experience with the word. Obviously everybodies tone may be different when using it. Never heard anybody say the last thing.

Always on upright. I'm sure that we used to walk on all fours also, at least partly.

I don't believe in good and bad in general. To describe someone or something.
08-17-2016, 09:24 PM,
why would you use the word?
08-17-2016, 10:41 PM,
If you double post only the latest post is going to show up by the way.

If you could watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nhoPFV-Ovs

Well, the body is what it is. People who have all arms and legs are natural no matter what. Something natural doesn't have to be untouched by men.

As I said I use it to describe someone or something.
12-15-2016, 12:46 PM,
To understand the word unnatural, one must understand the word natural, and nature itself.
Nature:
  • 2 a :  a creative and controlling force in the universe b :  an inner force or the sum of such forces in an individual
  • 4 :  the physical constitution or drives of an organism; especially :  an excretory organ or function —used in phrases like the call of nature

Our physiological nature (or physical constitution) functions in accordance to nature's design. Our bodies operate involuntarily to perform a certain set of functions as nature intends. Your heart keeps beating even if you think really hard about it stopping. We as humans (and our genetic make-up) are a result of nature's design. Existence in it's entirety was either allowed to develop in accordance to, or is merely a result of, nature's design, which is the formula to which all things adhere, in any case.

Non-sequitur arguments like "humans are from nature so everything we do is natural" arise from chaotic thinking that doesn't respect the different definitions of nature and how they interrelate. Drinking alcohol until your liver fails is an act that goes against your body's physiological nature.
Unnatural:
  • 1 :  not being in accordance with nature or consistent with a normal course of events
Getting sick, or contracting viruses, or catching the common cold, is something that is intrinsic to the original human condition. Viruses were allowed to develop according to nature's design, so our bodies "naturally" possess an immune system to combat viruses.. Evidently, nature intended for us to be capable of overcoming these things.. Flooding your system with distilled/extracted alcohol on a daily basis, will, over time, prevent your body from functioning as nature intended... Your liver will fail to perform it's intended functions, your physiological nature will be compromised, and you will die.

Technology can be used for natural purposes, but I believe it is the result of our advanced internal consciousness, which has the potential to think unnatural thoughts, produce unnatural creations. To explain this, think of natural selection, which is a concept that asserts living things are capable of adapting to aspects of their environment/surroundings that cause difficulty etc. The idea is that adaptive mutations are eventually passed on genetically through the surviving bloodline of those able to succeed, etc. The implication is that not everyone succeeds, and also that not everyone listens to their instincts even if they possess such advantages. We are given the choice to succeed if we want to. Technology can be used to adapt to certain circumstances, or it can be used detrimentally, resulting in laziness or acts that go against our own natural development.

Nature:
  • 7 a :  humankind's original or natural condition b :  a simplified mode of life resembling this condition
  • 8 :  the genetically controlled qualities of an organism
This is where the other definitions come in. It all makes sense when you fully understand what nature is, and what it means to not be in accordance to it. When humans develop technology, methods, or habits that intervene with the natural process of life to the point where things occur in humanity that never would've survived natural selection, or they work against the original human condition, or it goes against any definition of "nature" as previously explained, that's where I draw the line in the sand. It is unnatural.