Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is going on right now?
10-19-2013, 11:29 PM,
RE: What is going on right now?
(10-19-2013, 02:09 PM)Little Funny Boy Wrote:
(10-19-2013, 03:34 AM)Matthew Cassinelli Wrote: Hope is not a statement, action, or belief, it is a personal wish that has no effect on you. Don't tell me what I should and shouldn't think.

Why do you believe he is saying this? Definitely not to tell you what you should or shouldn't think.

"Should (verb): used to indicate obligation, duty, or correctness, typically when criticizing someone's actions."
How strange it is to be anything at all
10-20-2013, 12:01 AM,
(10-19-2013, 11:29 PM)Matthew Cassinelli Wrote: "Should (verb): used to indicate obligation, duty, or correctness, typically when criticizing someone's actions."

You didn't answer my question.
10-20-2013, 02:58 AM,
(10-19-2013, 02:09 PM)Little Funny Boy Wrote:
(10-19-2013, 03:34 AM)Matthew Cassinelli Wrote: Hope is not a statement, action, or belief, it is a personal wish that has no effect on you. Don't tell me what I should and shouldn't think.

Why do you believe he is saying this? Definitely not to tell you what you should or shouldn't think.

(10-20-2013, 12:01 AM)Little Funny Boy Wrote:
(10-19-2013, 11:29 PM)Matthew Cassinelli Wrote: "Should (verb): used to indicate obligation, duty, or correctness, typically when criticizing someone's actions."

You didn't answer my question.

No, but I countered your statement that he wasn't telling me what to think.
My answer to "why do you believe he is saying this?" is that I don't know and don't care.
10-20-2013, 03:07 AM,
(10-20-2013, 02:58 AM)Matthew Cassinelli Wrote: No, but I countered your statement that he wasn't telling me what to think.
My answer to "why do you believe he is saying this?" is that I don't know and don't care.

There's different definitions of words spread all over the Internet and in dictionaries in general. Besides that most take a long time to make you fully understand what words mean. You should stop relying on what dictionaries tell you and use your brain for a change. I only want to help you with this.

Here's another definition.
Should signifies something you ought to do or something that is a good idea or that something that may happen.verb

1. An example of should is when someone tells you that you ought to go to bed.
2. An example of should is when you believe you must obey the law
3. An example of should is when someone says they will do something if they might happen to win the lottery.

Besides that he could've also meant that it's a good idea to do so, so I don't really get your point if you don't look at all sides of words.
10-20-2013, 03:29 AM,
(10-20-2013, 03:07 AM)Little Funny Boy Wrote: There's different definitions of words spread all over the Internet and in dictionaries in general. Besides that most take a long time to make you fully understand what words mean.

My definition was taken from the first result of typing into Google "define: should". This makes an average from information from all of the leading dictionaries (Oxford, Merriam-Webster etc.) This method is also the most regularly updated.

(10-20-2013, 03:07 AM)Little Funny Boy Wrote: You should stop relying on what dictionaries tell you and use your brain for a change. I only want to help you with this.

I don't rely on dictionaries, I'm quite well-versed in English and I was able to tell what he meant in this context without one. I only posted a dictionary definition because you seemed to mis-understand the word "should".

(10-20-2013, 03:07 AM)Little Funny Boy Wrote: Here's another definition.
Should signifies something you ought to do or something that is a good idea or that something that may happen.verb

1. An example of should is when someone tells you that you ought to go to bed.
2. An example of should is when you believe you must obey the law
3. An example of should is when someone says they will do something if they might happen to win the lottery.

Besides that he could've also meant that it's a good idea to do so, so I don't really get your point if you don't look at all sides of words.

Dictionaries don't make words have meanings. Words get meanings based on how people use them. Words constantly evolve, and example of this is how the word "gentleman" used to refer to a specific social class, but is now a more general word meaning one who is kind and well-mannered.

Dictionaries exist simply to document and record the most common usages and understandings of words.
If Gray Morning was using a definition different to the standard definition then that's fine, but he should specify to avoid confusion. It could be that this was a mis-understanding, but the onus is on him to specify, not me to mind-read.
10-20-2013, 03:55 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-20-2013, 04:06 AM by Little Funny Boy.)
(10-20-2013, 03:29 AM)Matthew Cassinelli Wrote: My definition was taken from the first result of typing into Google "define: should". This makes an average from information from all of the leading dictionaries (Oxford, Merriam-Webster etc.) This method is also the most regularly updated.

If it's updated that would mean that words could change with the time. Unless words are poorly defined I don't see a point in doing that. Do you see logic or gain for your own matters when definitions of words in leading dictionaries are regularly updated, if yes why?

(10-20-2013, 03:29 AM)Matthew Cassinelli Wrote: I don't rely on dictionaries, I'm quite well-versed in English and I was able to tell what he meant in this context without one. I only posted a dictionary definition because you seemed to mis-understand the word "should".

That would mean you understood what he meant but wanted to defend yourself on purpose?

(10-20-2013, 03:29 AM)Matthew Cassinelli Wrote: Dictionaries don't make words have meanings. Words get meanings based on how people use them. Words constantly evolve, and example of this is how the word "gentleman" used to refer to a specific social class, but is now a more general word meaning one who is kind and well-mannered.

Dictionaries exist simply to document and record the most common usages and understandings of words.
If Gray Morning was using a definition different to the standard definition then that's fine, but he should specify to avoid confusion. It could be that this was a mis-understanding, but the onus is on him to specify, not me to mind-read.

Define standard. You probably mean popular/most common, which you can't even know if it's being used like that by most humans. How many do you think have all mainstream definitions of words in their heads and use them like that? Just guess.
10-20-2013, 02:30 PM,
In this context he meant "should" as in it's probably a good idea, he was also probably 33% joking so no need to get into a big conversation about who gets to define English etc.
Punk rock should mean freedom. Liking and accepting anything that you like, playing whatever you want, as sloppy as you want. As long as it's good and it has passion. - Kurt Cobain
10-20-2013, 10:54 PM,
(10-20-2013, 03:55 AM)Little Funny Boy Wrote: If it's updated that would mean that words could change with the time. Unless words are poorly defined I don't see a point in doing that. Do you see logic or gain for your own matters when definitions of words in leading dictionaries are regularly updated, if yes why?

Words evolve over time. Dictionaries have to update usually every year or so to reflect these changes. The dictionaries don't change the words, they document the changes in the usage of words.

(10-20-2013, 03:55 AM)Little Funny Boy Wrote:
(10-20-2013, 03:29 AM)Matthew Cassinelli Wrote: I don't rely on dictionaries, I'm quite well-versed in English and I was able to tell what he meant in this context without one. I only posted a dictionary definition because you seemed to mis-understand the word "should".

That would mean you understood what he meant but wanted to defend yourself on purpose?

Why "but"?
I understood what he meant AND wanted to defend myself from your flurry of madness.

(10-20-2013, 03:55 AM)Little Funny Boy Wrote:
(10-20-2013, 03:29 AM)Matthew Cassinelli Wrote: Dictionaries don't make words have meanings. Words get meanings based on how people use them. Words constantly evolve, and example of this is how the word "gentleman" used to refer to a specific social class, but is now a more general word meaning one who is kind and well-mannered.

Define standard. You probably mean popular/most common, which you can't even know if it's being used like that by most humans. How many do you think have all mainstream definitions of words in their heads and use them like that? Just guess.

Yes, I mean the most popularly used definitions.
Hmm I would imagine about 95% of fluent English speakers, but obviously I can't put an actual figure on that.
I know you have this idea in your head that if something is mainstream then it's bad, but that's not the case with words. Common understandings of words allow people to understand eachother. It's as simple as that. If you are using an exotic or special definition then you have to specify it to avoid confusion, that's how it works.

(10-20-2013, 02:30 PM)Dawning Wrote: In this context he meant "should" as in it's probably a good idea, he was also probably 33% joking so no need to get into a big conversation about who gets to define English etc.

Yeah, perhaps I overreacted but still, I don't welcome that comment if we use your definition because it still implies something I SHOULD do, without even giving any reasoning why I SHOULD do it. Should is like a cross between a recommendation and an order, and I took it to mainly mean the latter. The "big conversation" resulted from me addressing Little Funny Boy's points, and him addressing mine etc. There's nothing wrong with that.
10-21-2013, 12:42 AM,
(10-20-2013, 10:54 PM)Matthew Cassinelli Wrote: Why "but"?
I understood what he meant AND wanted to defend myself from your flurry of madness.

I wasn't arguing before you started anyway. I look at this whole conversation as a joke now.
10-21-2013, 05:19 AM,
Of course you would call it a joke because your comments are full of fallacies of relevance. You didn't address my question.