Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Folk
03-28-2014, 04:28 PM,
Folk
Ever since Togusa made a post about it I am very interested in finding out more folk music from all countries but don't even know where to begin.

Things I've heard and enjoyed include famous stuff such as Gjallarhorn, Surjit Bindrakhia but that's only the tip of the iceberg in my experience the best music is underground, like that timeslip band Vote4cake posted some time ago, man they owned.

Anyone got ideas for finding good stuff?
Punk rock should mean freedom. Liking and accepting anything that you like, playing whatever you want, as sloppy as you want. As long as it's good and it has passion. - Kurt Cobain
03-28-2014, 05:28 PM,
RE: Folk
I like this one a lot.

You are your own future, you write your own book,
you choose the colors of your world, you choose the patterns of your words,
the past you can't erase so live for today.
After Words - Looking Back
03-29-2014, 08:14 PM,
Not exactly folk music, BUT Nusrat Fateh's music is considered to be an icon of Pakistan. Yes, I'm Indian but if we speak the same language, come from similar upbringings, and know what it feels like to have your mom smack you upside the head with a shoe, we're blood brothers as far as I'm concerned. Sufi music and by extension, qawwali tends to incorporate various folk instruments based on the region where you listen to it.

As for folk music in general, well like I said before I stick to Punjabi folk music most of the time. Of course, nowadays I'm opening up to American folk rock. I'm particularly fond of the band known as "The Mountain Goats." I got them from a TV show called "Moral Orel." Connected to it surprisingly well, mostly because it's about dysfunctional families and well you can make out the rest.
03-29-2014, 08:23 PM,
Try some Celtic folk, the flute melodies are usually amazing
I can't offer any suggestions though, I don't know a lot of stuff in that style.
03-29-2014, 10:32 PM,
(03-29-2014, 08:23 PM)Dave Wrote: Try some Celtic folk, the flute melodies are usually amazing
I can't offer any suggestions though, I don't know a lot of stuff in that style.

Yes Celtic folk sounds great. Also I know some Pagan folk.

I've seen them several times live.
-
04-03-2014, 01:49 AM,
Celtic folk from Chile:

04-03-2014, 01:52 AM,
I wish I knew some finnish folk. And Google sucks.
Time to realize that the truth is not so clear!!!
Iconoclast - Silence
04-03-2014, 02:56 AM,
Do you mean traditional (nordic/baltic) finnish folk or just any kind like neofolk?