Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Free Will
04-16-2014, 03:21 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-16-2014, 03:22 PM by Dawning.)
Free Will
I don't think humans have free will.
I think we're like computers, programmed constantly during our lives to act a certain way or do a certain thing.

For example if we see a guy smoking when we are young and he looks cool then it's possible we end up smoking, giving corporations all this money just to kill us faster and we never had a choice.

Of course this would mean I never had a choice about posting this thread Wink

What do you think?
Punk rock should mean freedom. Liking and accepting anything that you like, playing whatever you want, as sloppy as you want. As long as it's good and it has passion. - Kurt Cobain
04-17-2014, 12:55 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-17-2014, 12:56 AM by Kris.)
RE: Free Will
(04-16-2014, 03:21 PM)Dawning Wrote: For example if we see a guy smoking when we are young and he looks cool then it's possible we end up smoking, giving corporations all this money just to kill us faster and we never had a choice.

We have free will. For example, you said that "if we see a guy smoking when we are young and he looks cool then it's possible we end up smoking". The fact that it is possible and not inevitably our choice means we have free will.
04-17-2014, 01:07 AM,
We have free will. For example, you said that "if we see a guy smoking when we are young and he looks cool then it's possible we end up smoking". The fact that it is possible and not inevitably our choice means we have free will.
[/quote]

Something else probably made you not do it in that case
04-17-2014, 01:14 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-17-2014, 01:18 AM by Kris.)
(04-17-2014, 01:07 AM)victim Wrote: Something else probably made you not do it in that case

That doesn't mean you don't have free will. You can be educated on both sides of the subject and make a choice for yourself based on your own opinion. Regardless you couldn't use that in an argument against free will because we do not strictly adhere to one purpose like a computer does.
04-17-2014, 01:32 AM,
(04-17-2014, 01:14 AM)Kris Wrote:
(04-17-2014, 01:07 AM)victim Wrote: Something else probably made you not do it in that case

That doesn't mean you don't have free will. You can be educated on both sides of the subject and make a choice for yourself based on your own opinion. Regardless you couldn't use that in an argument against free will because we do not strictly adhere to one purpose like a computer does.

I'm not trying to convince you in any way but what made me think about it was when I worked at a kindergarten, the kiddos are concentrated on seeking more information and from there on they do their best to find the "right" way to behave/think. So you could say that they are programmed from birth to find the right way to act for their conditions. However I believe that this only applies to the person.
04-17-2014, 01:48 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-17-2014, 01:49 AM by Dawning.)
To Kris, what I meant by the "possible" is that maybe we are encouraged by something else not to smoke, maybe we would see a family member die of lung cancer and it's possible that programs us not to smoke.

Of course it's not going to be possible for us to prove we have free will or not but it's interesting concept to me.
Punk rock should mean freedom. Liking and accepting anything that you like, playing whatever you want, as sloppy as you want. As long as it's good and it has passion. - Kurt Cobain
04-17-2014, 02:04 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-17-2014, 02:10 AM by Kris.)
(04-17-2014, 01:48 AM)Dawning Wrote: To Kris, what I meant by the "possible" is that maybe we are encouraged by something else not to smoke, maybe we would see a family member die of lung cancer and it's possible that programs us not to smoke.

Of course it's not going to be possible for us to prove we have free will or not but it's interesting concept to me.

Smile I knew what you meant it's okay, Dawning, though I believe you're using the word programmed wrong. Having a family member die to lung cancer would put fear in you and influence you not to smoke. The word programmed to me seems more intentional and coming from a source that doesn't care for you but only their intention.
04-17-2014, 05:41 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-17-2014, 05:48 AM by Sv3rige.)
Was it you or somebody else who once posted or messaged me this video?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FanhvXO9Pk

He talks about some stuff that I've mentioned in my videos too. For the most part I agree with him but he sounds a bit ignorant when talking about souls and how it's the same thing because as I understand he's a strong atheist.

When talking about this subject it's best to ask people who believe in free will. Why is it called "free" will? Free of what? Then they may start thinking about it.

One way to look at it:
a) If your soul was born on a different planet into a different living thing. Everything you would do may be completely different then on this planet because of the circumstances and because of the possibilities you can do with your body (or whatever). So how can we be free of anything if all we know is this?
If you were a tree. What could be your free will?
You are your own future, you write your own book,
you choose the colors of your world, you choose the patterns of your words,
the past you can't erase so live for today.
After Words - Looking Back
04-26-2014, 07:08 PM,
(04-17-2014, 05:41 AM)Sv3rige Wrote: Was it you or somebody else who once posted or messaged me this video?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FanhvXO9Pk

He talks about some stuff that I've mentioned in my videos too. For the most part I agree with him but he sounds a bit ignorant when talking about souls and how it's the same thing because as I understand he's a strong atheist.
What he's saying is that there may well be souls, but they don't seem to be affecting anything. There's no real difference in reaction between substances reacting in a mud pool and substances reacting in the human body. A certain element reacts in the same way to certain other elements, or combination of elements. In this way, it doesn't seem evident that a human would have a soul and that a mud pool wouldn't.
04-26-2014, 07:46 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-26-2014, 07:46 PM by Sv3rige.)
I get what he's saying. I'm saying that he doesn't understand what a soul is and how it affects living things.
A mud pool wouldn't hit you back if you hit it. That's one difference of millions.
You are your own future, you write your own book,
you choose the colors of your world, you choose the patterns of your words,
the past you can't erase so live for today.
After Words - Looking Back