Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bad Movie Tuesday
06-11-2014, 09:43 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-11-2014, 09:55 AM by Togusa.)
Bad Movie Tuesday
I know that all hollywood movies are bad, but that's not really what this topic is for. Have you ever seen a movie that's just so bad that you actually end up enjoying it? Post the names of some movies that you think are so outrageously bad that you somehow end up enjoying it.

For me, it's gotta be a tie between The Room and Birdemic: Shock and Terror. These two films are just so horrible that they bring a smile to my face. The stories are shit, the acting is shit, the directing is shit, the sound mixing is shit, etc. At the same time, there's a certain level of... sincerity put into the both of them. Don't get me wrong, James Nguyen and Tommy Wiseau are horrible at directing and writing and yet you can clearly tell that this was an honest attempt at *some* quality. Both films take themselves so seriously and yet all the flaws end up working against it to the point where I can't help but burst out in raucous laughter at all the pathos.

On that note, Bollywood movies are just so fucking bad. They're ridiculously melodramatic, the song-and-dance numbers are cheesy and over-the-top, and they honestly expect us to take them seriously (akin to Birdemic). Now, don't get me wrong. There ARE Bollywood movies I genuinely do believe are good, like Kyon Ki, Kal Ho Naa Ho (although I could do without the musical numbers in this one), Pyaar Tune Kya Kiya, and a lot of Kishore Kumar films I grew up watching as a kid and still love to this very day (back when Bollywood movies were actually good). However, Bollywood movies these days are just rubbish. At the same time, the overall sincerity behind Bollywood just makes it enjoyable to watch. There's a saying I heard somewhere on the Internet: Bad drama makes good comedy. Bad comedy is worthless. That pretty much applies to Bollywood in general.
06-11-2014, 01:00 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-11-2014, 01:11 PM by Dawning.)
RE: Bad Movie Tuesday
Ya I have this too. Sometimes movies are just so, so, so bad it's like they do a full 360 and end up being good ironically.

Lots of American films from the 80s are like this. American popular culture from the 80s is so fucking lame lmao, as well as pretty much everything Corey Feldman has ever done:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4KJtDxTqWQ

This isn't a movie but it's the kid from the previous trailer singing pop music and it is the most mind-blowingly bad (in a funny way) shit you will see.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iO_8n5y5edk

Bollywood is amazingly cheesy and shit too ya. It's Indian film trying to be American film right? Why? I'm sure Indians can make way better films than Hollywood trash
Punk rock should mean freedom. Liking and accepting anything that you like, playing whatever you want, as sloppy as you want. As long as it's good and it has passion. - Kurt Cobain
06-11-2014, 04:18 PM,
RE: Bad Movie Tuesday
(06-11-2014, 01:00 PM)Dawning Wrote: Ya I have this too. Sometimes movies are just so, so, so bad it's like they do a full 360 and end up being good ironically.

Lots of American films from the 80s are like this. American popular culture from the 80s is so fucking lame lmao, as well as pretty much everything Corey Feldman has ever done:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4KJtDxTqWQ

This isn't a movie but it's the kid from the previous trailer singing pop music and it is the most mind-blowingly bad (in a funny way) shit you will see.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iO_8n5y5edk

Bollywood is amazingly cheesy and shit too ya. It's Indian film trying to be American film right? Why? I'm sure Indians can make way better films than Hollywood trash

1) I sincerely enjoyed Robocop and the Christopher Reeve Superman movies at one point in time Blush

2) Excuse me while I go vomit because I laughed too hard.

3) Bollywood =/= Indian cinema as a whole. When you look past Bollywood, Indian cinema is downright amazing. The thing with Bollywood is the fact that it doesn't really hold up well in modern times. It's a hark back to traditional Indian theatre. Epics like the Mahabarata would be adapted into a play and for moments of the story riddled with exposition, there would a few musical numbers to help make things more entertaining. Traditions don't exactly mesh well with modern times. What makes an old Bollywood film enjoyable is the fact that most of them usually stick to very traditional stories/concepts, like an incompetent son learning responsibility or a classic love triangle. The settings and the surroundings don't stray too far from traditions/ideals from back then. These kinds of films would often take place in rural villages, small towns, or way out in the countryside. Nowadays, those kinds of settings don't appeal to a younger audience. So Bollywood has attempted to mix together traditions in modern times, and it really doesn't work out all that well most of the time. Nowadays, that's even more readily apparent as Bollywood films start to become more... raunchy (featuring the likes of scantily clad women, half-naked men with abs covered in oil, "edgy" hip-hop dancers, etc.). There's a handy little video that explains all this stuff in greater detail.

That's not to say that there aren't Bollywood films that aren't good because there are quite a few that I still thoroughly enjoy to this very day like Kal Ho Naa Ho, Lucky: No Time for Love, Kyon Ki, and Pyaar Tune Kya Kiya. However, those films actually deviated from the modern Bollywood standard to some degree and tried new things (most of which actually did work). Even then, those films aren't exactly the best because well... they're not 100% original.