Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Streetwear
12-04-2016, 10:27 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-04-2016, 10:30 PM by Jerome.)
Streetwear
Fashion and clothing are ways to express yourself so I figured that it would fit in the 'other art forms' section.

I started paying more attention to the way I dress when I was 15-16. Here in Amsterdam there are 2 big fashion trends as of now.
The first and biggest of them being Vintage. Vintage clothing has been big since the dawn of time but it has really become popular as of lately. There isn't a single girl that I know that doesn't shop vintage clothes and that's why some pieces are considered to be essential for the average wardrobe. Examples are wide trousers and old (sometimes oversized) sweatshirts of known brands.

The second most popular trend right now is one that I refer to as the ''hypebeast/fuckboy'' movement. Flashy logo's and exspensive brading are the most important parts of this trend. Think rich kids asking their parents to buy them clothes to show off at high school. Though, of course that is a generalisation. Some brands actually produce interesting stuff that is definitely wearable and sometimes has a very fresh and original feel to it. It is in general more exspensive than the vintage stuff though. Examples of iconic hypebeast gear are Supreme boxlogo hoodies and Yeezy Shoes. Notice how the brand is mentioned when referring to the pieces. Hypebeasts usually think more in brands than actual clothing pieces/style, hence the name 'hypebeasts'.

I don't believe that you have to pick between 'being' a hypebeast or 'being' a hipster wearing vintage clothes. I think having an original style demands a combination of the two. You don't need to look like a hobo wearing vintage and you don't need to look like a clown wearing hypebeast gear. Taking small bits of both sides will result in good looking outfits that accentuate your individuality. For example, this is me wearing my new coat (hypebeast) with chelsea boots (vintage). As you can see, the coat was made new but it had a nice colour that you don't see very often, giving the look some originality. The boots are a classic design that can easily combined with the jacket, providing some sort of contrast to the freshness of it. As you can see, playing with different types of clothes can result in very interesting and original looks. The power of streetwear lies in combinations of all kinds.

Let me know what you guys think!
Aan de oevers van de tijd,

hing ik maar wat rond.