Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Joy of Painting
08-19-2013, 04:18 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-19-2013, 04:20 PM by Togusa.)
The Joy of Painting
For those of you who are unaware, The Joy of Painting was a programme that aired on public-access television in the United States back in the 1980s up until the early 2000s. In every episode the programme's host, Bob Ross showed how to make a painting within the ~20 minute time frame he was given.

Here's a video of him painting with gesso and oil-based paint.

I've considered getting into painting time and time again, but years of faulty school logic has turned me into a perfectionist. I can't seem to get into any sort of art without having this desire to get it done right the first time (something that I'm incapable of doing most of the time). By the time I finish one piece, I don't want to go near it ever again.

Has this ever happened to any of you? If so, how'd you get over it? I could really use some help in this area :p
08-20-2013, 07:05 PM,
RE: The Joy of Painting
Wow. I just read your intro and then actually felt like checking out this topic because I had only opened it once.
My sister used to watch this show so often on TV so I of course saw lots of episodes too.
She used to draw and paint a lot back then, some stuff amazingly good but somehow gave up on it.
It actually inspired me too because I wanted to draw as good as her.
You are your own future, you write your own book,
you choose the colors of your world, you choose the patterns of your words,
the past you can't erase so live for today.
After Words - Looking Back
08-21-2013, 11:27 AM,
PBS shows used to air in Latvia? How strange. I've seen your paintings, and I was quite impressed. Did you go through this sort of "perfectionist" stage like I'm going through right now?
08-21-2013, 06:35 PM,
We had a pretty expesnive satellite dish, which you can actually see in my Latvia Trip video.
Oho thanks Smile I'm still a perfectionist in most cases.
08-22-2013, 03:42 AM,
If you're a perfectionist, then how are you able to paint, draw, or whatever? I've always felt like drawing and I've tried to take up painting on many occasions, but if I mess up on it once, I feel like I need to start over.
08-22-2013, 04:26 AM,
I can relate to the starting over part but when it came to painting the teacher told me to not paint over too many times and leave it as it is so it's thanks to her.