Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hip-hop/Rap
08-28-2013, 09:02 AM,
Hip-hop/Rap
I see a lot of rock and electronic music here, but I've only seen hip-hop and rap around here twice. Anyone here ever listened to it frequently? Well, since I live in NYC, a lot of the "hip-hop" is just pop with rapping. I assume that's why a lot of people from my school just call it "rap."

Now, Chief Keef et al. out of the way, how many of us listened to it?

Since I mostly listened to mallcore for quite a while, I'm still biased toward rock music, shamefully enough. These are the only two hip-hop/rap songs I have on my iPod:

08-28-2013, 10:17 AM,
RE: Hip-hop/Rap
I end up rarely listening to hip hop cause whenever I listen to such things, I listen to it for it's beat. You can see how that's a problem for me because I just go straight to listening to dubstep instead, and then I'm satisfied.

NYC, you say? Reminds me. I was about to take the bus to go near there on Saturday, August 24th. I was going to meet someone at the Union Square Greenmarket. Unfortunately, I had to go back to Hackensack and take a bus to there to meet my brother at Starbucks. He stood us up. Never came. Was a waste of time, for the most part.
Now I have no money (cause I bought a USB stick), and I have no plans leaving town.
Btw, since you can, you should take a visit to the Anthology Film Archives. I would if I could without walking miles to there.
08-28-2013, 07:53 PM,
Apart from dreamer 28 I have yet to find/listen to good hiphop :/
08-29-2013, 12:22 AM,
I remember watching Gatis's video on Music, and he covered rock music with such excruciating detail. Rap and hip-hop, not so much. I mean, sure there was a mention of Seagram and Kid Cudi, along with a few WorldStar videos about the subject of the Illuminati in the rap/hip-hop game, but other than that . . . not much there.
08-29-2013, 09:51 PM,

Dem lyrics
"World events do not occur by accident. They are made to happen, and most of them are staged and managed by those who hold the purse strings."
08-29-2013, 10:28 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-30-2013, 12:55 AM by Jerome.)
There's good stuff out there but it's not so easy find.
However, we at addicting music headquarters are going to make a mix of hip hop in the next months so you can look forward to that.
You are your own future, you write your own book,
you choose the colors of your world, you choose the patterns of your words,
the past you can't erase so live for today.
After Words - Looking Back
08-30-2013, 02:58 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-30-2013, 03:05 AM by Tom.)
A year or two ago I discovered Cold Legistics just clicking through Youtube videos. I think he produces some pretty decent hip hop samples and if you search around enough you can find some rappers who like to rap over his beats. His music varies a lot in style so I wouldn't judge him off just one song. It's all pretty chilled though so if you're looking for that more intense rap/hip hop he's probably not quite right

You can hear/download one of his albums here, he has some other music you can find around which is also free if you like it - http://thosearesomecoldlegistics.bandcam...thern-star

And just for completeness, this my favourite song, just wish the recording quality was a little better -

Other songs that I like by him are Fox News, Traffic Interlude, Prom Nite, Appleworm, Squares and Time Bump,
09-01-2013, 07:57 PM,
The new rap is awful in my opinion. Lil wayne, Soulja boy, Nicki minaj etc... It's not listenable to be honest. They seem to rap about the same thing which includes:

-Lot's of money
-Bitches
-Nigga atleast x3
-Clothes
-How they live.

"Golden age hip hop" however, sounds lot better to me. It sounds more honest, rather than some producer written generic lyrics.

It's easy to hear if you compare between someone like Ice cube and Soulja boy who is the better one. (Soulja boy can't rap for shit either, and hes voice makes me just pissed. A perfect example of a mainstream rapper that no one will remember after hes 40.)

09-01-2013, 09:49 PM,
Musically Lil wayne, Soulja boy and Nicki Minaj aren't even hip-hop. Just because they use rapping doesn't make them hip-hop. A lot of people just call them hip-hop because they are black and rap.. It's wrong.
Aan de oevers van de tijd,

hing ik maar wat rond.
09-01-2013, 10:52 PM,
(08-30-2013, 02:58 AM)Tom Wrote: A year or two ago I discovered Cold Legistics just clicking through Youtube videos. I think he produces some pretty decent hip hop samples and if you search around enough you can find some rappers who like to rap over his beats. His music varies a lot in style so I wouldn't judge him off just one song. It's all pretty chilled though so if you're looking for that more intense rap/hip hop he's probably not quite right

You can hear/download one of his albums here, he has some other music you can find around which is also free if you like it - http://thosearesomecoldlegistics.bandcam...thern-star

And just for completeness, this my favourite song, just wish the recording quality was a little better - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wvq_e2wqXw

Other songs that I like by him are Fox News, Traffic Interlude, Prom Nite, Appleworm, Squares and Time Bump,

I really like the Lost at Sea - Cold Statistics, i put in a relisten list on my browser, and was wondering where i got it from; you Big Grin
I downloaded his album as well Smile thanks