Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How do you get out of the videogame addiction cycle?
09-03-2013, 05:19 AM,
How do you get out of the videogame addiction cycle?
Be prepared for a long text, It's mostly a story, so you don't sit there wondering what I am talking about.

Yeah, so currently I am stuck in this evil cycle of being addicted to video games. I didn't believe it at first, infact I found myself stupid for bringing up those thougths in my brain. I mean, I didn't have any problems, or so I thougth. When I was in Swedish elementary school that lasts 9 years (from 6-15 years olds.) I had huge problems when it came to Computer games.

I had no real problem before high school part, beacuse I didn't really play any games. I was mostly outdoors with friends and had just fun. We cycled a lot, played soccer and just messed around in general. But when I hit 2nd grade I started to play videogames. I didn't have any problems at first, beacuse I found videogames boring at first. it wasn't until I started 4th grade and every friend of mine played this "Runescape" game. To be honest when I saw the game at first, I really found it boring, it just looked awful. But as soon as I started to play it, I got addicted. I rushed home from school to play Runescape everyday, forgeting important things like homework, books, clothes etc... All just to play this game, and watch a few videos on Youtube (Mostly Kids Ranqe vids, ironicly.).

But the real problem started 3 years later in 7th grade, when I got hooked up on Counter-Strike, since it became the newest hit in School. I started to skip days in school just to play it, and soon, my grades started to drop and of course my parents saw this and they went really angry at me, skipping class to play videogames. They decied to put some restrictions and it worked, for some time. In 8th grade I reached the peak of my addiction, once I skipped class 4 days in row, just to play Counter-Strike and get better. Soon, I had over 4 F's and I still didn't believe that I was addicted.

In 9th grade however, I started to realise that I was addicted, and I decided to stop playing videogames for almost a year. This made me get my grades back up and I had not a single F in exams, and I got accepted to Gymnasium.

Now to my question:

I am in 2nd year Gymnasium, I'm not playing as much videogames as before, but I am still addicted to it and I just can't stop playing videogames. I always for example post-pon times I'm suppost to pick up stuff, taking the bus, eating, etc... Skipped being with friends, lost lot's of good friends, barely talking to the friends I have. I really know it will ruin my life, and I just sit here, staring at my own doom.

How do you manage to get out of this addiction? And what is the best tip to get out of it?
09-03-2013, 05:24 AM,
RE: How do you get out of the videogame addiction cycle?
You can't stop this addiction if it's really fun for you. You not only need to understand why it's bad, but also need to feel that it's bad. You should start doing other things and you'll find the beauty of life again.
Go outside, watch one of Tsai-Ming Liang's films, look at bugs, listen to screamo (really helps) etc.
Aan de oevers van de tijd,

hing ik maar wat rond.
09-03-2013, 05:40 AM,
(09-03-2013, 05:24 AM)Jerome Wrote: You can't stop this addiction if it's really fun for you. You not only need to understand why it's bad, but also need to feel that it's bad. You should start doing other things and you'll find the beauty of life again.
Go outside, watch one of Tsai-Ming Liang's films, look at bugs, listen to screamo (really helps) etc.

No, it's not a fun addction, I already feel that it's bad. Screamo is something I can't listen to. Or well, I can listen to it, feel it, etc.. but it is simply just not my style.
09-03-2013, 05:47 AM,
find another hobby Tongue I still play video games sometimes but I mostly play my guitar or go outside with friends. after a while you dont really give a sh*t about video games anymore and stop playing them. (this worked for me)
09-03-2013, 06:51 AM,
Find a reason for yourself to be away from home so that you cannot be behind a computer.
Also you should analyze the game youre playing:
Every single game is pointless and when you analyze what you find "fun" about it you will realize that the game is designed
to contain hard to achieve missions where you have to spend alot of time on, or incredibly hard missions where you simply have to play day after day to get the required skills.
With RS the whole game is based on randomly generated numbers the so called "hits".
You can higher your chances of getting high hits by spending years training your stats up.
Once you realize that its not actually fun your getting out of it and that its a designed loop hole to destroy the youths soul, you will understand why you were addicted and why you have to stop it immediatly.
"World events do not occur by accident. They are made to happen, and most of them are staged and managed by those who hold the purse strings."
09-03-2013, 07:18 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-03-2013, 07:18 AM by Sv3rige.)
Most of us have been there.
I myself started rs with the aim of findng something to play for a long time and a lot because I was trying to escape from reality, which is obviously a huge mistake but many people do this. It's just scary how conscious this decision of mine was. I can still clearly remember it.
Counter Strike was also for me the first real computer video game and I always wanted to go the internet cafe and spend all of my money there just to play it for an hour or so. I played it for about 10 years in total with many breaks. This reminds me of a time me and 2 other guys decided to skip a whole day and go play counter strike instead for like 3 or 4 hours. Even for an addict that was too much and got boring at the end but the problem is that it always came back later.

Video games or anything like it will always be an escape from what you don't want to face. The people who don't play video games do something else instead, it will never go away if you keep going like that. I made a good video about this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NJm4F7MCCE

Jerome said it best. You will just have to open up if you want it to go away or you will never see what life has to offer. Once you do you will not want to go back.
You are your own future, you write your own book,
you choose the colors of your world, you choose the patterns of your words,
the past you can't erase so live for today.
After Words - Looking Back
09-03-2013, 08:42 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-03-2013, 08:48 AM by Ali.)
i was pretty addicted to runescape 07 that i reached top 10 on the hiscores for construction, the solution for me was to give my bank away to randomers, log off and never consider going back, i get happy memories of the game at times, but i keep the thought of it being a spiritual poison to help stop me from returning.

http://services.runescape.com/m=hiscore_...=23&page=2
damn just checked and im rank 31 now, wont let the temptation bring me back Wink
Know your enemy, dont believe lies
09-03-2013, 08:57 PM,
(09-03-2013, 08:42 AM)Ali Wrote: i was pretty addicted to runescape 07 that i reached top 10 on the hiscores for construction, the solution for me was to give my bank away to randomers, log off and never consider going back, i get happy memories of the game at times, but i keep the thought of it being a spiritual poison to help stop me from returning.

http://services.runescape.com/m=hiscore_...=23&page=2
damn just checked and im rank 31 now, wont let the temptation bring me back Wink

That's crazy Big Grin You look physically strong so I'm sure your spirit is too Wink
You are your own future, you write your own book,
you choose the colors of your world, you choose the patterns of your words,
the past you can't erase so live for today.
After Words - Looking Back
09-03-2013, 11:15 PM,
When it comes down to my own addiction, I view it as something that I can get over. When I was younger, I never really had much of an addiction to well . . . anything. My only game unit was a Gameboy Advance, with only 1 game (that I've beaten 4 times) and local TV (because my parents didn't want to pay for cable). But when my mother died, that's when I just sort of started to slip. I moved in with my real father, and we had satellite when we moved in. That's when I started sitting down and watching mind-numbing TV, mostly to just distract myself from dealing with my own problems. When my friends Matt and Akhil introduced me to RS in sixth grade, that's when I got hooked. If I wasn't playing RS, I was watching TV. That's how it was for me, until like June 2009 when I graduated middle school.

In July, we went on a trip to India, and that's when my eyes opened up quite a bit. We only had the bare essentials for life. Electricity for heat, a TV that only got local Indian programming, plumbing, etc. I felt rather withdrawn, and I mostly spent my time wandering about the area. I sat on rooftops, I walked around the village to see what life was like for everyone, among other things. Many times, the generator would fail while my father, uncle, and cousin were out on a trip to the city for whatever reason. Only my cousin knew how to reset it properly, so we spent a good 8 hours in the heat with no A/C and stuff. I played with my nephew and niece quite a bit, playing games like cricket with a beating stick for the laundry in lieu of a proper bat, and telling stories outside. I talked to my aunt, who reminded me a lot of my deceased grandmother. Of course, we couldn't stay there forever. Around 21 July, we had to return to the states. We spent about 3 days going to Indira Gandhi International Airport. We visited places like Patiala (the place my mother came from), dhabas, etc.

That trip did a lot to open my eyes, but sadly I forgot about most of it when I came back. I just went back to RS, but I couldn't play it as much because I had to focus on school more (my dad and sister spent hours sitting behind me until I did do my work). I sort of forgot about games, because I had to quit RS and I didn't really do much gaming. I got into technology in general, becoming obsessed with hacking x or modifying y. When I got into my first relationship, I opened myself up quite a bit. I still stuck to technology, but not as much as I did before. That's when I listened to music, blah blah blah. The rest, you can find on my Intro topic.

Basically, you have to find your own path. Following Jerome's and Gatis's suggestions will help you out immensely, but ultimately you're the one who has to figure out what's best for you.

Sorry if I ended on a weak note, but I'm about to leave for class :p
09-04-2013, 01:28 AM,
(09-03-2013, 05:47 AM)Martijn Wrote: find another hobby Tongue I still play video games sometimes but I mostly play my guitar or go outside with friends. after a while you dont really give a sh*t about video games anymore and stop playing them. (this worked for me)

Yeah am playing going to play more guitar from now on I guess, I've played guitar already for over 4 months but I guess I will have to play more haha.

Anyway thanks everyone for the answers, I will try my best to get out of this shithole.