Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How do you get out of the videogame addiction cycle?
09-04-2013, 07:08 AM,
RE: How do you get out of the videogame addiction cycle?
(09-04-2013, 01:28 AM)Fredrik Wrote:
(09-03-2013, 05:47 AM)Martijn Wrote: find another hobby Tongue I still play video games sometimes but I mostly play my guitar or go outside with friends. after a while you dont really give a sh*t about video games anymore and stop playing them. (this worked for me)

Yeah am playing going to play more guitar from now on I guess, I've played guitar already for over 4 months but I guess I will have to play more haha.

Anyway thanks everyone for the answers, I will try my best to get out of this shithole.

I'm right now recovering of the same "shithole" haha. The best you can do is find other things to do that you (might) enjoy. I also play guitar alot, basketball 2 times a week and I'm going to the gym 2 times a week. I'm addicted because of my friends (sounds like a dick but it's the truth). I'm not saying that they're not nice (in fact they're really cool dudes), but further on in your "gaming-carreer" you form strong bonds with your friends. For example I play now and then some counter strike with my team but the point is, that they've got more time than I got. They're not literally pushing me to play more often but it gives me the feeling that I'm making them wait for me. That's why I'm playing alot of video games, to satisfy my friends. It's not that I'm not enjoying it, I'm really having a good time with them. It's just that I got less time to spare.
-
09-06-2013, 10:14 AM,
(09-03-2013, 08:57 PM)Sv3rige Wrote:
(09-03-2013, 08:42 AM)Ali Wrote: i was pretty addicted to runescape 07 that i reached top 10 on the hiscores for construction, the solution for me was to give my bank away to randomers, log off and never consider going back, i get happy memories of the game at times, but i keep the thought of it being a spiritual poison to help stop me from returning.

http://services.runescape.com/m=hiscore_...=23&page=2
damn just checked and im rank 31 now, wont let the temptation bring me back Wink

That's crazy Big Grin You look physically strong so I'm sure your spirit is too Wink

hehe ye well body and soul are two different things
body seems temporary
Know your enemy, dont believe lies
09-06-2013, 12:11 PM,
Video games (in moderation) can actually be great for your brain and emotions.
A rather recent study confirmed this (http://www.sciencealert.com.au/features/...746-2.html)
The problem comes when you are addicted and the video games stop you from living life, to which I would suggest:
>Finding an alternate hobby or 'coping skill' (exercise is great)
>Making yourself accountable (tell your family and friends about your problem, maybe they will give you a kick up the backside when you need it)
And don't be afraid to see a councillor or therapist.
How strange it is to be anything at all
09-06-2013, 05:37 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-06-2013, 05:38 PM by Little Funny Boy.)
(09-06-2013, 12:11 PM)Matthew Cassinelli Wrote: Video games (in moderation) can actually be great for your brain and emotions.
A rather recent study confirmed this http://www.sciencealert.com.au/features/...746-2.html

The thing is that those things distract you from life too much. Even in moderation, it's like setting up yourself for "fun" but with time limits, which isn't "fun" at all. It's a waste of time. In general those things aren't really there for you to have fun with.
09-06-2013, 07:41 PM,
(09-06-2013, 10:14 AM)Ali Wrote:
(09-03-2013, 08:57 PM)Sv3rige Wrote:
(09-03-2013, 08:42 AM)Ali Wrote: i was pretty addicted to runescape 07 that i reached top 10 on the hiscores for construction, the solution for me was to give my bank away to randomers, log off and never consider going back, i get happy memories of the game at times, but i keep the thought of it being a spiritual poison to help stop me from returning.

http://services.runescape.com/m=hiscore_...=23&page=2
damn just checked and im rank 31 now, wont let the temptation bring me back Wink

That's crazy Big Grin You look physically strong so I'm sure your spirit is too Wink

hehe ye well body and soul are two different things
body seems temporary

Wow, you are berserk priest for real?
09-07-2013, 01:01 AM,
(09-06-2013, 05:37 PM)Little Funny Boy Wrote:
(09-06-2013, 12:11 PM)Matthew Cassinelli Wrote: Video games (in moderation) can actually be great for your brain and emotions.
A rather recent study confirmed this http://www.sciencealert.com.au/features/...746-2.html

The thing is that those things distract you from life too much. Even in moderation, it's like setting up yourself for "fun" but with time limits, which isn't "fun" at all. It's a waste of time. In general those things aren't really there for you to have fun with.

That's interesting. I see video games as no different to any skill or art form. You could argue with your logic that running, table-tennis, and guitar are also "distracting you from life".
What's the difference between improving my piano skills and improving my strafing skills in Quake?
09-07-2013, 02:16 AM,
(09-07-2013, 01:01 AM)Matthew Cassinelli Wrote: That's interesting. I see video games as no different to any skill or art form. You could argue with your logic that running, table-tennis, and guitar are also "distracting you from life".
What's the difference between improving my piano skills and improving my strafing skills in Quake?

I do not see video games as a real skill or a real art form. You obviously didn't find out my logic since I never said it was a skill or an art form. The difference between video games and piano is that you actually gain something out of playing piano whereas video games do not show reality and are there to entertain you. Practically, I see everything that has real beauty in it as a form of art.
09-07-2013, 02:39 AM,
(09-07-2013, 02:16 AM)Little Funny Boy Wrote: I do not see video games as a real skill or a real art form. You obviously didn't find out my logic since I never said it was a skill or an art form. The difference between video games and piano is that you actually gain something out of playing piano whereas video games do not show reality and are there to entertain you. Practically, I see everything that has real beauty in it as a form of art.

What do you mean by "real"? There are many great works of art in video games.
You gain skill at piano by playing piano. You gain skill of games by playing games. Additionally, you improve your hand-eye coordination and other skills by doing both.
Piano is a human invention just like video games.
09-07-2013, 03:01 AM,
(09-07-2013, 02:39 AM)Matthew Cassinelli Wrote: What do you mean by "real"? There are many great works of art in video games.
You gain skill at piano by playing piano. You gain skill of games by playing games. Additionally, you improve your hand-eye coordination and other skills by doing both.
Piano is a human invention just like video games.

A real skill is something you can also do in real life. Something that can actually make a difference and maybe even help out human beings. I don't look at that sort as the same since video games are not art, art may be within it but it isn't the same. I don't see that as beauty. That hand-eye coordination in video games won't really matter since it's all focused on a monitor, real life is different than that, and it's useless to even gain such things. I agree that piano may be a human invention just like video games.
09-07-2013, 04:37 AM,
(09-07-2013, 03:01 AM)Little Funny Boy Wrote: A real skill is something you can also do in real life. Something that can actually make a difference and maybe even help out human beings.
"Real life" is an ambiguous term. Video games are definitely not real life, but are guitars? Are board games? Where is the line drawn? Computers are just yet another interface that humans can interact with, not any less real than previous interfaces IMO

(09-07-2013, 03:01 AM)Little Funny Boy Wrote: I don't look at that sort as the same since video games are not art, art may be within it but it isn't the same. I don't see that as beauty.
Some video games are basically interactive movies. I consider movies an art form. But my opinion of what is art is subjective. I adore pixel art such as Cavestory, and the storyline/scores in Halo 3 have filled me with raw emotion to the point of tears in the past.

(09-07-2013, 03:01 AM)Little Funny Boy Wrote: That hand-eye coordination in video games won't really matter since it's all focused on a monitor, real life is different than that, and it's useless to even gain such things.
Again this is just opinion (like yours), but I think some of the skills developed in games can be applied to real life. The study I provided shows some evidence for this. I personally think that playing certain video games has improved my decision making, multitasking, and coordination.