Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
For the musicians among us.
08-21-2013, 04:57 AM,
RE: For the musicians among us.
so I've found this great site:
http://chordify.net/
you can upload a piece of music and it will give you the chords Wink
comes in very handy for people that want to play underground music but cant find the chords themselves
08-21-2013, 05:07 AM,
Interesting, does this work with multiple guitars in one song?
Aan de oevers van de tijd,

hing ik maar wat rond.
08-21-2013, 05:26 AM,
Do not use tablature, unless if you plan to stay in your mom's bedroom for your entire music career.
Please don't use tabs. Learn to play your instrument.
08-21-2013, 05:31 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-21-2013, 05:31 AM by Jerome.)
What do you mean Vote?
If you can play your instrument you can just play something by listening to it?
Aan de oevers van de tijd,

hing ik maar wat rond.
08-21-2013, 05:47 AM,
If you can play something you heard, you certainly can play what's in your head.
Anyway, there's a lot wrong with using tabs. Say if you don't use tabs (I don't know if you do...), what I just said on my first line will improve much better and faster. That's one benefit.
08-21-2013, 05:53 AM,
(08-21-2013, 05:31 AM)Jerome Wrote: What do you mean Vote?
If you can play your instrument you can just play something by listening to it?

Learned by Ear.

You are your own future, you write your own book,
you choose the colors of your world, you choose the patterns of your words,
the past you can't erase so live for today.
After Words - Looking Back
08-21-2013, 06:09 AM,
nothing wrong with 'learning' tabs imo. it's just one of the ways of writing down something. playing by ear doesnt always work, try to play a song of The Pine playing by ear, I only managed to learn 3 of their songs.
08-21-2013, 06:39 AM,
(08-21-2013, 06:09 AM)Martijn Wrote: nothing wrong with 'learning' tabs imo. it's just one of the ways of writing down something. playing by ear doesnt always work, try to play a song of The Pine playing by ear, I only managed to learn 3 of their songs.

You can learn tabs, but it's useless. Musicians don't use tablature in performances. Gotta remember it all in your head, y'know? As for writing down music, you either write down the stuff in note letters or use standard music notation (if you want to be a studio musician, most certainly learn standard music notation). Writing it in tabs will be quite lengthy.
The reason why you can't transcribe some Pine songs because some of the songs are too muddy. If it's too muddy, you can't do it. For example: The Pine - Tired. That's why it doesn't work. (I can also talk about sound/tone, but that's a whole different thing)
Try doing Knowone Cares. I can do that one.
08-21-2013, 06:49 AM,
(08-21-2013, 06:39 AM)Vote4cake Wrote:
(08-21-2013, 06:09 AM)Martijn Wrote: nothing wrong with 'learning' tabs imo. it's just one of the ways of writing down something. playing by ear doesnt always work, try to play a song of The Pine playing by ear, I only managed to learn 3 of their songs.

You can learn tabs, but it's useless. Musicians don't use tablature in performances. Gotta remember it all in your head, y'know? As for writing down music, you either write down the stuff in note letters or use standard music notation (if you want to be a studio musician, most certainly learn standard music notation). Writing it in tabs will be quite lengthy.
The reason why you can't transcribe some Pine songs because some of the songs are too muddy. If it's too muddy, you can't do it. For example: The Pine - Tired. That's why it doesn't work. (I can also talk about sound/tone, but that's a whole different thing)
Try doing Knowone Cares. I can do that one.

I can do Don't Need Regret, Days Slipping By and Letters Wink
Letters is very easy as you just use the same chords [ A7sus4 - G - Cadd9 ]
for beginners I would strongly recommend tabs. you dont really have to learn it as it's so easy to understand (it literally took me 20 seconds to understand it) and you can focus on training your fingers. I always write guitar pieces down in tabs and yes, it does take me a while, but I can read it way faster than for example sheet music. and in a performance I play about 8 songs that I practiced a lot the weeks before, but in total I can play at least 50 songs... can't & don't have to remember all of that Wink
But of course I totally agree with you that when getting professional with music you need to know what you're doing and be able to read notes etc etc. but thats what lessons are for of course
08-21-2013, 06:54 AM,
You are right Brian with playing instruments with your ears and brain, but tabs can still sometimes be of some use imo.
Here is your next challenge for your ears, my favourite Russian Circles drumming song:

:P