Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
For the musicians among us.
08-21-2013, 07:17 AM,
RE: For the musicians among us.
(08-21-2013, 06:39 AM)Vote4cake Wrote: The reason why you can't transcribe some Pine songs because some of the songs are too muddy. If it's too muddy, you can't do it. For example: The Pine - Tired. That's why it doesn't work. (I can also talk about sound/tone, but that's a whole different thing)

In response to this:
you could work out the bass line (which I already did) check which pentatonic it's in, then work out the chords note by note. not 100% sure if this will work, but I've tried it for a few other songs and it worked! the tuning is pretty much the same I believe, so that won't be a problem, and I personally don't find the sound very important. when I've time I will try to work it all out, and I'll send you the result.

IN TABS >:-D
08-21-2013, 07:34 AM,
(08-21-2013, 06:49 AM)Martijn Wrote:
(08-21-2013, 06:39 AM)Vote4cake Wrote:
(08-21-2013, 06:09 AM)Martijn Wrote: nothing wrong with 'learning' tabs imo. it's just one of the ways of writing down something. playing by ear doesnt always work, try to play a song of The Pine playing by ear, I only managed to learn 3 of their songs.

You can learn tabs, but it's useless. Musicians don't use tablature in performances. Gotta remember it all in your head, y'know? As for writing down music, you either write down the stuff in note letters or use standard music notation (if you want to be a studio musician, most certainly learn standard music notation). Writing it in tabs will be quite lengthy.
The reason why you can't transcribe some Pine songs because some of the songs are too muddy. If it's too muddy, you can't do it. For example: The Pine - Tired. That's why it doesn't work. (I can also talk about sound/tone, but that's a whole different thing)
Try doing Knowone Cares. I can do that one.

I can do Don't Need Regret, Days Slipping By and Letters Wink
Letters is very easy as you just use the same chords [ A7sus4 - G - Cadd9 ]
for beginners I would strongly recommend tabs. you dont really have to learn it as it's so easy to understand (it literally took me 20 seconds to understand it) and you can focus on training your fingers. I always write guitar pieces down in tabs and yes, it does take me a while, but I can read it way faster than for example sheet music. and in a performance I play about 8 songs that I practiced a lot the weeks before, but in total I can play at least 50 songs... can't & don't have to remember all of that Wink
But of course I totally agree with you that when getting professional with music you need to know what you're doing and be able to read notes etc etc. but thats what lessons are for of course

Tabs as a way to train your fingers? Chances are that it's going to be a horrid experience for the beginner (not all, but many). I started off guitar by learning the open chords, which my music teacher told me to do. If I had known better myself, I would have start off at the middle of the guitar neck and done something like this (but really slowly): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=do5gZ4vktH0
Why? Cause your fingers need strength to handle all the frets on the board (particularly at the top -- those are the hardest to push down). If you don't have that strength, your body is going to be very tense trying to push down notes and you're gonna be holding your breath and all that and it's going to be really annoying. Also will never be able to play smoothly 'til that's fixed.

I don't understand what you're saying at the performance part. It's either you remember them, which means you can play live, or you don't, which means you can't (or you always have to ask your band mates to remind you, if you have members).
08-21-2013, 07:37 AM,
(08-21-2013, 07:17 AM)Martijn Wrote:
(08-21-2013, 06:39 AM)Vote4cake Wrote: The reason why you can't transcribe some Pine songs because some of the songs are too muddy. If it's too muddy, you can't do it. For example: The Pine - Tired. That's why it doesn't work. (I can also talk about sound/tone, but that's a whole different thing)

In response to this:
you could work out the bass line (which I already did) check which pentatonic it's in, then work out the chords note by note. not 100% sure if this will work, but I've tried it for a few other songs and it worked! the tuning is pretty much the same I believe, so that won't be a problem, and I personally don't find the sound very important. when I've time I will try to work it all out, and I'll send you the result.

Don't send me the tabs cause I'm not gonna read them.
08-21-2013, 07:48 AM,
(08-21-2013, 07:37 AM)Vote4cake Wrote:
(08-21-2013, 07:17 AM)Martijn Wrote:

In response to this:

Don't send me the tabs cause I'm not gonna read them.

it was supposed to be a joke, sorry for the insult ;p
don't know what's the benefit of putting chords in tabs anyway so don't worry
04-18-2014, 10:33 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-18-2014, 10:33 PM by Martijn.)
Blindfold King intro. the font messed it up a bit but oh well here it is.

E||---------------------|----------------------|-----------------------|----------------------|-------------------------|
B||---------------------|----------------------|-----------------------|----------------------|------------------------|
G||-----7-----------7--|---------7----------7|-----------7-----------|--9-----------7------|--------7---------------|
D||-----9-----------9--|---------7----------7|-----------9-----------|--12----------9------|--------7---------------|
A||-10-----10--9------|--9----------9-------|---9--10-----10--12--|------12--9------9--|------------9-----------|
E||---------------------|----10----------10--|------------------------|----------------------|-10------------repeat-|
04-19-2014, 05:08 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-19-2014, 05:09 PM by Jerome.)
(04-18-2014, 10:33 PM)Martijn Wrote: Blindfold King intro. the font messed it up a bit but oh well here it is.

E||---------------------|----------------------|-----------------------|----------------------|-------------------------|
B||---------------------|----------------------|-----------------------|----------------------|------------------------|
G||-----7-----------7--|---------7----------7|-----------7-----------|--9-----------7------|--------7---------------|
D||-----9-----------9--|---------7----------7|-----------9-----------|--12----------9------|--------7---------------|
A||-10-----10--9------|--9----------9-------|---9--10-----10--12--|------12--9------9--|------------9-----------|
E||---------------------|----10----------10--|------------------------|----------------------|-10------------repeat-|

Hey, thanks dude, I was working it out on the guitar myself the other day, never came furthere than the first part of it though because I was supposed to practice something else Big Grin
Aan de oevers van de tijd,

hing ik maar wat rond.
04-19-2014, 07:53 PM,
glad you liked it Smile I can pretty much tab any song of LATS if you want, but as they have 2 bassists and 2 guitarist it won't sound the same if you play on your own. It's still fun to play along though.
04-19-2014, 08:55 PM,
That would be awesome martijn, go for it!
04-20-2014, 09:32 PM,
any requests?
04-21-2014, 06:12 AM,
can't think of anything tbh, what about dag nasty - safe (yeah i know its not lats :S)