Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dreams
08-05-2013, 08:42 AM,
RE: Dreams
I sometimes talk about dreaming with a friend.

As a child I always used to say to others that I dream but it sometimes felt like im still awake as I'm aware of the dream, control myself in the dream (and sometimes control what others do) and feel what happens in the dream. When it happens I also sense that my body is asleep. Sometimes I could see myself sleeping and have a dream at the same time (maybe 2 dreams at the same time?).
I used to call it half-asleep.
08-13-2013, 09:43 AM,
I had this dream last year. It was incredibly strange for me, and i felt like it was ominous, given that three days after i had this dream, my (now ex) girlfriend broke up with me. ever since, i wondered if that dream was a sign or something:

i thought i was alone in this large building, and then i heard crying on one of the upper floors. i immediately ran up the stairs and got to the top floor. there, i saw this woman wearing a black hijab inside of a very large glass box or something with extreme security measures. i disarmed some locks, and then when i shot this guard dog chasing me, i entered a password to unlock the prison, and then she ran out, immediately hugging me and crying. i tried my hardest to comfort her, but she was hysterical. then i had this idea pop up in my head. i took this scarf covering her face, and i was shocked that it was my best friend from eighth grade. i haven't seen her in so long, yet i still kept in contact . . . just barely, but we still talked. she didn't have to explain why she was crying. i knew. she got expelled from her islamic school because she was in a relationship with a student. i tried my best to comfort her, but she just kept grasping me and crying. we sat down on a nearby bench . . . and then we kissed. after that, my phone's alarm clock woke me up because i had to get to class.

i didn't feel right. i didn't go over to the delicatessen and get my usual sandwich and water. i didn't go to class, i just sat down in the nearby nature park in a remote area, and just stared at the clouds, thinking what that dream meant. i wanted to talk to her about this, but she disabled her facebook for whatever reason. i'm assuming her parents forced her to do that. ever since . . . i've kept having that dream at strange points in my life. i think i regret never telling her how i felt about her, but the dream may signify that maybe that time would've been my chance to tell her, but how i know not.
08-13-2013, 07:42 PM,
^ man, that and some trance music is almost... ethereal...

wonderful story/dream..
Aan de oevers van de tijd,

hing ik maar wat rond.
08-15-2013, 04:57 PM,
(08-13-2013, 07:42 PM)Jerome Wrote: ^ man, that and some trance music is almost... ethereal...

wonderful story/dream..

You actually read about dreams while listening to trance music? I imagine it would be trippy. I never actually get entranced while listening to trance music, ironically.

The thing with this dream was that . . . I haven't seen her in years. The last time I saw her was during the last day of school back in eighth grade. I think we were both like 14 or something, I don't remember clearly enough. Back in those days, she and I used to talk outside the school and while we were helping out our homeroom teacher arrange desks and put papers down. I sat with her at lunch, and stuff like that. I remember that I was so convinced that I thought of her as a friend and nothing else.

That all changed when I heard some crying coming from the homeroom during lunch, when I was running an errand for my homeroom teacher. I didn't turn the lights on, I just entered and then I saw her crying at her desk. I asked her what was wrong, and then she told me that her parents found out that she was going out with someone. Her parents are old-school Muslims. They don't like the idea of their daughter going out with well . . . anyone. They were even contemplating sending her to Pakistan, from what I remember. I sat down next to her, trying to console her. It worked to an extent, but then she latched onto me. I didn't run that errand, I just sat down trying to comfort her. Her crying eased up, and soon I was helping her clean her desk off. She was feeling better and hungry. We walked down to the cafeteria, but before we entered, she gave me a kiss on the cheek and ran over to the lunch line talking to her friends. I just went back upstairs and decided to run the errand.

It was so strange, I was like . . . 14? I've had idle crushes before, but I got over them relatively quickly. But when it came down to her . . . it kinda felt more than a crush. It felt like I had this sudden surge of emotions coming at me, as if every happy experience I've ever had suddenly came back to me all at once and after the rush ended, I saw her face. I couldn't muster up the guts to actually tell her though. Ever since, we just kept in contact through Facebook, AIM and stuff like that. But gradually, I just sort of forgot about her when this other girl came into my life, who later became my ex-girlfriend. I still had dreams about this woman wearing a black hijab from time to time, but the dreams always ended before I could see her face. The dream I had last year was the first time I could see her face. The youth counsellor whom I talked to about the dream told me it could probably be some unresolved feelings. I kinda just settled on that notion.

It's funny how life reminds us of such things. Can someone so young feel that kind of love? People are always so quick to say you are/were too young to be feeling shit like that. It seems like the people who say that haven't had that sort of euphoria ever or in a long time. Back when I was 13/14, I felt like I was a stone, so to speak. I didn't express any emotions I had, because I had such a hard time doing so. I was just indifferent to a lot of things. That experience I had really made me feel like I was alive, like I was a human rather than a stone on the banks of a river.

I sound like a queer, but what can I say? Sometimes, just being around the people you love can feel better than listening to music and watching films.
08-15-2013, 07:22 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-15-2013, 07:29 PM by Jerome.)
I'm 15 and I'm pretty sure I experienced that feeling myself. Maybe I should write a big story about it.

Your not a queer for saying stuff like this, well, atleast not on this forum Wink
Aan de oevers van de tijd,

hing ik maar wat rond.
08-15-2013, 10:32 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-15-2013, 10:33 PM by Dawning.)
Well you don't sound like a queer because a queer would be talking about a boy Wink
It's wrong that most people laugh and judge you/call you homo just because you have feelings and are able to admit that and talk about them. It's part of brainwashing etc.

I think I know what feeling you mean; I met my first "serious girlfriend" when I was 14, we dated for a year and a half. I'm nearly 18 today, and I guess because I'm not so in control of my emotions I still get sad and miss her sometimes, probably because she represents the thing I've cared about most at one point in my life, I don't think you can just let that stuff go so easy.

My point is I don't believe that it's too young to feel such things.
Punk rock should mean freedom. Liking and accepting anything that you like, playing whatever you want, as sloppy as you want. As long as it's good and it has passion. - Kurt Cobain
08-31-2013, 05:41 AM,
From a psychological perspective, common ideas are:
>Dreams are merely the result of excess energy being used because the brain doesn't have much to do in the night. (this is called an epiphenomena)
>Dreams evolved because they can allow you to practise/rehearse for real-life situations without actually putting yourself at risk. That's why many people dream about their house burning, their loved ones dying, their partner breaking up with them etc. - your body can deal with those situations better when the time comes. Dreams basically allow your brain to prepare for distressing experiences.
>Electroencephalograms show that brain waves during dreaming (in REM phase) are very similar to being awake. It is also said that your brain (usually) can't determine what is dream and what is reality while asleep. However, during sleep, some neurotransmitters are shut off and connections to muscles are shut off (usually) to protect your body.
>All animals experience REM and dreams.
>Dreams serve the purpose of transferring information from the short-term memory to the long-term memory.
>Dreams are a result of removing incomplete memories and other junk that developed during the day. Another idea is that dreams are the removal of emotional arousals that weren't complete/fulfilled in the day.

I haven't included the theories that haven't been supported by science - for example some of Freud's ideas, and sv3rige's ideas about dream frequency correlating with how high your 'energy' is (whatever that means). I don't believe in Dream Interpretation. I personally believe that dreams are a result of a combination of the above, but there is much research to be done.
How strange it is to be anything at all
08-31-2013, 08:15 AM,
Interesting Matthew.
(08-31-2013, 05:41 AM)Matthew Cassinelli Wrote: However, during sleep, some neurotransmitters are shut off and connections to muscles are shut off (usually) to protect your body.
I have this quite often, that when i'm about to sleep/dream i suddenly get awake due to some kind of spastic move my muscles make.
08-31-2013, 02:21 PM,
(08-31-2013, 08:15 AM)Ampeva Wrote: Interesting Matthew.
(08-31-2013, 05:41 AM)Matthew Cassinelli Wrote: However, during sleep, some neurotransmitters are shut off and connections to muscles are shut off (usually) to protect your body.
I have this quite often, that when i'm about to sleep/dream i suddenly get awake due to some kind of spastic move my muscles make.

I have this aswell, but I make a certain move in my dream and get awake because I do it in real.
"World events do not occur by accident. They are made to happen, and most of them are staged and managed by those who hold the purse strings."
09-01-2013, 02:08 AM,
Yeah I've had it a few times too - usually when something scary happens in my dream, my body will make a jumping motion or kick the wall and I'll wake up. Sleepwalking is another example of your brain not shutting off the appropriate connections to the muscles, but I've never sleepwalked. One time I had a false-awakening, has anyone else ever had that? It's quite confusing.
How strange it is to be anything at all